Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Reaction to The Bet



After reading The Bet by Paul Sabin, I found myself enjoying the material. It was a good book with a great background on both Ehrlich and Simon and how conflicted they were on climate change. Not to mention, both sides were considered valid, which goes into the bulk of my opinion towards Simon oddly enough. Despite my background in Environmental Science, I found Simon more sensible than Paul Ehrlich. This book made me better appreciate the economic side of the climate change debate.

Hoff's review of The Bet  has an attitude to the book that the rest of my class share. While he praises the book for highlighting the bet between Ehrlich and Simon, he notes that Sabin is "fair-minded to a fault" (Hoff, 2015). Much like my class, Hoff believes Sabin's book is too balanced to the point where he refuses to show the extremes of the bet. As Hoff explains, " Sabin is too kind, and too eager to avoid coming across as biased environmentalist" (Hoff, 2015), which I also agree with.


Hoff, 2015

1 comment:

  1. I think that's a mostly fair assessment, though many bloggers also appreciated Sabin's neutrality. It's easy to want to be told how things are - that's one of the reasons Ehrlich and Simon may be much more influential on environmentalism than Paul Sabin.

    ReplyDelete