Sunday, September 18, 2016

Climate Change Not Caused by Man



In a new article by Politico, French politician Nicolas Sarkozy stated that climate change is not caused by man, believing that climate change has existed for billions of years. The web news site this article came from seems to focus on more political stories rather than environmental ones. Even the author, Hortense Goulard, focuses on more political topics. As such, the authors of this story probably would see climate change in a different point of view than most others on the matter, like environmentalists.

With that said, there is a complete lack of scientific views or environmental evidence to Sarkozy's claim. (Admittedly he's not completely wrong. The Ice Age was a thing due to climate change, and the humans that existed back then were not advanced as they are today.) My problem with his train of thought is that he contradicts himself. The article stated that he once upon the time believed climate change was caused by man(and it links to a French article where he defends the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [IPCC]).

This begs the question. How and when did his views on climate changed? Did he just change his views to appeal to majority to remain in the government or did something happened that changed his mind? Was he convinced by a close friend about the relationship between man and climate change or did a politician did that? I may never know the answer to that question, but I will never stop speculating.

1 comment:

  1. I love these comments - especially "I will never stop speculating"! I think and hope that France can do better than Sarkozy for future leadership.

    ReplyDelete